Whole Wheat Empanada Dough is made quickly in the food processor to use immediately or store for later meals. You are going to love making your own empanadas with fresh ingredients. They are perfect when you need to grab something hearty and keep moving!
My husband had a college roommate that used to make piles of empanadas then eat them on the go all week long. I was a bit intimidated by making my own but with our busy lives, I really needed some meal options that we could grab and take with us for breakfast, lunch or dinner.
Of course we wanted the dough to be whole wheat. White wheat is our house’s all-purpose flour and I used it with no issues at all. Though I thought it would be difficult – I couldn’t believe how easy this Whole Wheat Empanada Dough was to make and save. It is all done in the food processor then just turned out and rolled. Super easy.
Let me tell you, these empanadas can be stuffed with just about anything. My family and I like to fill them with chicken, beef, or eggs – even apple pie filling for a quick dessert. I have found that having Whole Wheat Empanada Dough made up and stored in the freezer is a great way to use up leftovers. Leftover ground beef from tacos or grilled chicken get veggies added and tucked inside this dough for a quick meal. Fruit that is on its last few days gets cooked down and turned into dessert empanadas too.
This Whole Wheat Empanada Dough has joined the ranks of our whole wheat pizza crust recipe and pie crust recipe! All of them are delicious and store well for future use on busy weeknights. Another plus is this Whole Wheat Empanada Dough is baked not fried, making them healthier!
If you have a busy family with kids of any age – like my toddlers who have found their picky stage or my teenager that runs cross country and can’t seem to ever get full – I really hope you try this! It has been a life saver for me!
- 3 cups white whole wheat flour
- teaspoon ¼salt
- 6 oz unsalted butter cut into pieces, 1 ½ sticks
- 1 egg
- 4-5 tbs water
- Mix flour and salt in a food processor.
- Add the butter, egg and water until a clumpy dough forms.
- Remove dough from the food processor and form a ball. Flatten it into a disc between two pieces of wax or parchment paper and chill in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
- Roll the dough until very thin and the cut out round shapes for empanadas. (There are round molds specifically for this but we just use an upside down bowl.)
- Use now or store the dough in the refrigerator or freezer to use later.
- Using the Dough
- When you are ready to use the dough. You will want to place a few tablespoons of filling in the center of the dough. The amount will vary based on how big your discs are cut. But make sure you leave plenty of room to fold the discs over and seal them completely. You can press the edges together with your fingers, or use a fork to press the edges together. Then use your fingers to shape the edges into folds for decoration. Brush the tops with egg wash for a nice golden top. Cook at 375 for 18-24 minutes depending on the size of your empanadas. They are done when they are nice and golden on top!