Healthy Vegetable Fried Rice is great as a meal or a side, flexible, delicious… and well, not fried. This healthy rice dish makes some healthy substitutions to keep your favorite Vegetable Fried Rice Recipe on the menu.
A Healthy Fried Rice Recipe for a Family-Friendly Dinner!
Healthy Vegetable Fried Rice is a fun way to get everyone excited to come to the table. I remember when my oldest child was little, Vegetable Fried Rice was literally the ONLY thing I could get her to eat if we went to an Asian restaurant. If she was feeling really brave, maybe we could get some chicken in that fried rice. But she would not touch anything else.
Now… please… Asian is her favorite and she can eat us out of an entire paycheck if sushi in on the menu.
But nobody can eat out all the time… And we certainly don’t want to. It is a lot healthier and more cost effective to eat your meals around the table at home. So we learned to make some healthy substitutions in our favorite fried rice.
And I learned some time savers that helped me get dinner on the table on a few otherwise hopeless nights.
Healthy Fried Rice Recipe Cheat
I admit it. Sometimes I am a big cheater at this recipe. If I am making rice during the week, I often double it and plan for Healthy Vegetable Fried Rice later in the week.
That means I cook the veggies first, add the rice with a little broth and soy sauce until everything is hot and fold in the protein. Yep, if you are counting that is dinner in about 10 minutes.
And this Healthy Vegetable Fried Rice recipe heats up great for lunchboxes the next day.
There is a lot of space to wiggle with the frozen veggies too. Whatever your family will eat works.
We generally use long grain basmati brown rice… because I like it. 🙂 But most rice varieties work just fine with a little adjustment in the liquid. Jasmine rice is awesome too!
Fried Rice is Easy and Inexpensive!
In case I have not convinced you to try this recipe already – Healthy Vegetable Fried Rice is SUPER CHEAP to make! Rice, frozen veggies, eggs, some broth. These are pantry staples that pretty much always live in my house. So when things are feeling leeeeeaaaannnn… we have Healthy Vegetable Fried Rice for dinner!
Looking for more Healthy Rice recipes?
- 2 cups long grain rice
- 2 cup chicken/vegetable stock +1/3 cups until rice is cooked through
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1/2 onion diced
- 1 garlic minced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Carrot peeled and diced
- 1 cup frozen peas, carrots, broccoli, and corn thawed
- 2 eggs scrambled
- First, rinse the rice a couple of times and allow it to sit in lukewarm water for 30 minutes. I always do this prior to cooking the rice, as it cuts down on cooking time.
- Drain rice. Heat oil in a sauce pan and sautee the onions until soft and translucent. Add the rice and stir for a minute. Next add the garlic and the carrots. Stir just to combine the ingredients. Pour in the stock and soy sauce, lower heat, cover and allow to cook on low for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, check on the rice. If yours is still a bit hard and there's no liquid left, keep adding 1/3 cup of stock until the rice is cooked all the way. Different types of rice will cook differently and the cooking temperature will affect the amount of time it takes. If you find yourself in a situation where the rice is done, but you still have liquid in the pan - open the lid and allow it to cook off.
- Once the rice is cooked, turn heat off and mix in the frozen vegetables.
- At this point, you may add the scrambled eggs, and any other protein you wish.