Waldorf Chicken Salad is as famous as it is delicious. Invented in the late 1800s, variations are all over the place. This is my variation, which is sans mayo – because mayonnaise is highly-processed and because I don’t particularly like it. It is also sans celery because it just saves my kids tons on time if they don’t have to pick it all out – feel free to include celery in your version. Despite my longstanding lack of love for mayo (it stems from a childhood trauma that includes a mayo and cheese sandwich that stayed in the sun a little too long), I have always been willing to make an exception for Waldorf Chicken Salad because I love the combination of well-seasoned, baked chicken with sweet grapes and apples and crunchy walnuts. This salad works very well on fresh whole wheat bread as a sandwich or on a bed of greens as a salad fitting for a main dish.
A little sweet, a little savory. A little crunchy, a little saucy. It is everything you could want in a meal. (At least everything I could want in a meal – including not having to watch my kids pick out the celery!)
Note: The amount of maple syrup in this recipe does not really make the dressing sweet – rather it just balances the tangy nature of plain yogurt. So adjust the amount of maple based on your preference for sweetness.
- 2 lbs chicken breasts, baked and diced into bite sized pieces
- 2 apples, cored and diced into bite sized pieces
- 2 cups seedless grapes, halved
- 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1 cup Greek Yogurt, Plain
- 1/2 lime, for juicing
- 1-2 tbsp maple syrup or to taste
- 2 tbsp tarragon, dried
- kosher salt and black pepper to taste
- 1 tbsp chopped herbs for garnish I prefer parsley or chives!
- Combine chicken, apples, grapes, and walnuts in a large bowl and stir to combine.
- Whisk yogurt, juice from half a lime, maple syrup, tarragon and salt and pepper in a medium bowl until the sauce is uniform. Pour sauce over chicken mixture, stir to combine. Top with fresh herbs.
- Serve with bread for sandwiches or over a bed of greens as a salad. Refrigerate any leftovers. Enjoy!