One of my favorite parts of Halloween is my kids’ anticipation! It is a fun season of dress-up and make-believe. These Halloween Puppets for Kids are a fun papercraft easy enough for your elementary – even preschool kids.
Prepare yourself for hours of creative play!
Looking for more Halloween crafts? Check out our fun Bat Bookmark!
Halloween Puppets for Kids
How to Make Halloween Paper Puppets
First things first, gather your craft supplies. We try pretty hard to create fun crafts that use simple supplies. Our goal is to give you quick ideas you can make RIGHT NOW as a solution to family time, rainy days, and kids who might be a little craftier than their parents. (Ahem, me.)
These Halloween puppets are no different. If your kids are really young, try printing the templates at 125% to give them larger images to work with. You might need the thicker craft sticks for the larger pieces. But it will work!
Supplies to Make Halloween Puppets:
- construction paper or card stock in fun Halloween colors (the card stock will hold up longer but I don’t always have the colors I want in my craft stash! Either will work fine.)
- craft glue
- craft sticks or popsicle sticks
- googly eyes
- Free Puppets Template (you can download for free further down the page.)
Download the Free Halloween Template
You will need to download the free template for your Halloween puppets. Just click the images below to open the file (it will open a new window.) Right click to save the image.
There are two pages of paper puppet templates. So make sure to grab both.
Halloween Template #1
Halloween Template #2
Halloween Creative Play
Get ready for hours of creative play with these fun to make Halloween Puppets for kids.
- Colored craft papers and cardstock paper
- Craft glue
- Popsicle sticks
- Googly eyes
- Select craft papers for the Halloween characters from the provided template. The template includes- ghost, cat, bat, witch, Dracula and Frankenstein patterns. Let’s start with the easy patterns. Trace the ghost, bat and cat patterns on the selected craft papers and cut them out nicely.
- Attach googly eyes to the ghost pattern and draw the mouth using a black sharpie. Attach the body cutout of the bat on the middle of the wing pattern; attach googly eyes and fangs to complete it. Attach the belly and nose cutouts on the cat pattern; and attach googly eyes to complete the cat.
- Now, to make the puppets attach the paper ghost, bat and cat on popsicle sticks.
- Let’s make a difficult pattern. Print out the patterns for the witch and trace them on colored craft papers. I’m using black paper for the dress and hat, green for the head and hands, orange for the hair and purple for the stripe of the hat. Cut out the traced patterns.
- Attach the strip on the hat, head on the bottom side (straight sidof the hair and the hands on both sides of the dress pattern.
- Now, attach the head on the top side of the dress and then attach the hat on the top side of the head to complete the paper witch pattern.
- Attach googly eyes and use black sharpie to draw the nose and mouth of the witch.
- Finally, attach the paper witch with a popsicle stick to complete the witch puppet.
- Trace and cut out the house pattern on a black cardstock paper.
- Similarly, trace, cut out and make the other characters.
More Halloween Posts for You!
Need help fitting in all this Halloween fun? Schedule it all with this free printable October Calendar.