It is very important that you give these turnip fries a try. Honestly, a year ago I wouldn’t have even given these a thought in my kitchen. Turnips? Um, no. Tomato Jam? Huh?
I decided to try Turnip Fries because the turnips – which I never gave a fair shake in my life – were really beautiful last week at the Farmers’ Market. I’m a sucker for beautiful veg. But the minute I headed to my car, I had buyer’s remorse. I hate turnips… and I had bought a lot of turnips. What was I thinking?
Seriously, these are so delicious. If I had only known that turnips turned into this when roasted. The best part, my kids ate them assuming they were homemade french fries. The second best part, I had been experimenting with Tomato Jam the same day. As a matter of fact, the tomato jam was still warm in a pot on the back of the stove. French fries and ketchup… Turnip Fries with Tomato Jam? Oh yes. So delicious.
Try this. You need to. I promise.
By the way, I mentioned I bought a lot of turnips. They are all ready for the next dinner, tucked snugly in my freezer. Never preserve turnips before? It is very easy – and all future meals have No Prep Work! I love that. Learn how to cook turnips now and preserve for later here.
Also, I mentioned Tomato Jam. It is also a cook now, preserve for later recipe.
- 1 quart turnip fries, peeled, cut into fries and blanched for 2 minutes
- 3-4 tbsp olive oil or enough to evenly coat fries
- kosher salt and fresh black pepper to taste
- creole seasoning, thyme, or other herb of choice
- 2-4 oz Tomato and Smoked Pepper Jam
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Move the oven rack to the top third of the oven.
- Spread turnip fries onto a rimmed baking sheet. Drizzle olive oil, and add salt and pepper as well as any other spices or herbs you may be using. Toss turnip fries to evenly coat. Make sure fries are in a single layer on the baking sheet.
- Place baking sheet in the oven for 15 minutes. Remove from oven and turn the fries over. Roast for another 15 minutes.
- Serve hot with Tomato and Smoked Pepper Jam. Enjoy!