Cold and allergy season can really get you down, especially if you or someone in your family suffers during this time of year. Taking over the counter medications can make you feel drowsy or give you “medicine-head” but there are other natural methods to help treat the symptoms of colds and allergies.
Essential oils are a great way to support your body during cold and allergy season. They can help you treat a cold, sinus pressure, or allergies. They can also help with the symptoms of contact allergies, related dermatitis, and respiratory symptoms.
We love Young Living Essential Oils and use them EVERY SINGLE DAY. You can read more about our journey from essential oils skeptic to daily user here.
How Essential Oils Help with Cold and Allergy Season
Let’s take a look at some of the oils that help in cold and allergy season and how they help:
- Peppermint oil – An expectorant that helps with congestion
- Lavender oil – A natural antihistamine and anti-inflammatory that helps when in the middle of an allergy flare-up
- Eucalyptus oil – Produces a cooling sensation when applied, making it great for flare-ups and as a vapor rub
- Tea tree oil – Topical only; helps aid in skin irritations and rashes from allergies
- Clove oil – Similar to Eucalyptus oil, also has antimicrobial, antiviral, antiseptic and stimulant properties
- Lemon oil – Very versatile oil that helps cleanse toxins from the body. Great to help you detox after contact with an allergen.
- Lemongrass oil – Helps relax muscles and tendons from cramping or muscle tension that is common with an allergic reaction.
Some common allergies that people suffer with are:
- Pet dander
- Insect stings and bites
- Certain foods
- Other seasonal allergies like grass or trees
The best way to handle these types of environmental allergies is to do your best to avoid contact with them. However, accidents happen and sometimes it just can’t be prevented, so when you have an outbreak of allergies, you want relief fast so you can get back to your normal self. These essential oils will greatly help. They will reduce the duration and often the intensity of the allergic reaction as well, helping you get back to normal as quickly as possible. If you suffer from allergies to any of the above, or things not listed, give these essential oils a try to see if they help relieve your symptoms.
Now that you know about these essential oils and how they can help you with your colds or allergies, you’ll be ready to plan for the next allergy or cold season. Stock up on essential oils and hit this season prepared!
Do you love essential oils like we do? Or eager to give them a try?
We love to share things with you that we use every day at My Nourished Home. One of those things is essential oils. I was an essential oils skeptic for the longest time… And now, every person in my house uses them and we all have different reasons and different favorites. You can find out more about our essential oil journey here.
Order a Premium Starter Kit and you will hear from me with lots of information about how to get started using your oils!