These Roasted Red Potatoes with chipotle spice are an easy and delicious side dish that everyone in my family loves. The outsides get nice and crispy and while flavorful, they are not too spicy for kids.
We like serving them with this Spiced Honey Glazed Chicken!
Roasted Red Potatoes with a Kick!
I am sure you guys know by now that I am a big fan of potatoes. The white potato gets a bad rap in my humble opinion. Yes, it has carbs but there is a big difference in eating refined sugar or flour and a baked potato. Potatoes are a great source of potassium, have lots of vitamin C and fiber, and are only 110 calories per medium baked potato.
As a mom, I love baked potatoes because they actually fill everyone up and everybody likes them. With 3 kids of various ages at the table, someone is always getting the evil eye for commenting about veggies they don’t prefer at the table. While we all have our preferences, being polite and grateful at the table when someone else has cared enough to cook for you is a social grace we work on every day.
Roasted Red Potato Recipe with smoky chipotle
These Chipotle Red Potatoes are flavorful and crispy. While they are flavorful, they are not super spicy but feel free to play around with the spice mix to fit the taste of your family.
We make red potatoes as a side dish at least once a week, so to make these easy to get on the table, I keep the spices mixed up and stored in a small canning jar. That way, all I have to do is cut up the potatoes, drizzle with olive oil, sprinkle with seasoning and toss them in the oven. If you are ever in a dinner pinch, this spice mix also works great sprinkled on chicken and baked.
(I have a close friend who lovingly calls it “Magic Dust” because they sprinkle it on everything from potatoes to chicken to salmon.)
How to Make Oven Roasted Red Potatoes
To make these, preheat your oven to 425 degrees.
Cut the red potatoes into quarters or into eighths based on how big they are. I like to cut them a little on the thinner side so they get a bit more crispy.
Place your sliced red potatoes on a sheet pan and drizzle with olive oil. Sprinkle 2-4 tablespoons of spice mix over the potatoes (based on how strongly you want the potatoes to be flavored – we like a lot!) Toss the potatoes, olive oil, and chipotle spice mix until the potatoes are covered. And spread them out until they are in a single layer on the sheet pan.
Cook potatoes in the oven for 25-30 minutes until they are golden and crispy. You will have some extra spice mix
You will have some extra spice mix from this recipe, so store it in a mason jar for the next time you need a quick dinner!
- 2-3 lbs red potatoes cut into quarters or eighths based on their size
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- Chipotle Spice Mix
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- 1 1/2 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2-3 tbsp chipotle powder based on preference
- 2 tbsp paprika
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp dried thyme
- Heat oven to 425 degrees. Cut red potatoes into quarters or eighths based on how big they are. I like them cut thinner so that they get more crispy. Place potatoes on a sheet pan.
- Drizzle potatoes with olive oil. Sprinkle 2-4 tbsp on spice mix over potatoes based on how strongly you want the flavor to come through. (We like a lot!) Toss the potatoes, olive oil and spices well on the sheet pan and pat them down until they are in a single layer on the pan.
- Place sheet pan in the oven and cook for 25-30 minutes or until the potatoes are golden and crispy.
- Place extra spice mix in a sealable jar and store for next time!