Lemon Blueberry Ricotta Pancakes are so decadent, you are going to make these pancakes your new Saturday morning tradition. The ricotta gives these pancakes a rich flavor while the lemon gives them a fresh citrus kick.
The best part is that these pancakes are on the table in half an hour, perfect for a sleepy morning.
Lemon Blueberry Ricotta Pancakes
I promise these Blueberry Ricotta Pancakes are going to be your new favorite pancake recipe. I have had a love affair with these pancakes for a long time. They are so rich and decadent. And the lemon keeps them from feeling too heavy.
We had family friends that could not imagine why you would ever put ricotta cheese in a sweet pancake… I get it, I do. It sounds like something off of a cooking channel that you aren’t sure is going to be delicious or a train wreck. We finally convinced them to try it and heard back that these were their family’s new go-to pancake recipe.
Believe it or not, these blueberry pancakes also freeze great. So when we cook them on the weekends, I often double the batch and freeze the rest. I just pull them from the freezer to the refrigerator overnight and heat them in the microwave in the mornings for my kids. Even though they make up fast, I like to plan breakfast on school morning that I can do before I am fully caffeinated.
How to Make Blueberry Ricotta Pancakes
So this weekend, pull out the ingredients for pancakes. Your family will thank you. Don’t bother to tell them they are whole wheat because they will never know if you use white whole wheat. If you only have regular white flour, no sweat, it substitutes with no issues.
More Pancake Recipes
If banana is more your flavor, try these Whole Wheat Banana Nut Pancakes. They taste just like banana bread, just healthier. I also love to keep this Healthy Pancake Mix on the counter. It makes it super easy to make pancakes in a flash. It also travels great for vacations if we have space to cook. Having it pre-mixed makes for easier packing!
- 2 cups white whole wheat flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 eggs
- 1 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup Ricotta cheese
- 1 lemon, for zesting
- 8 oz blueberries
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In a second bowl, whisk eggs, honey, milk and lemon zest until the honey is dissolved and mixture is uniform. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix just until combined. Add Ricotta and whisk gently until incorporated.
- Heat a griddle to medium-high heat. Melt butter or use a healthy oil like coconut oil to prevent sticking. Scoop 1/4 cup of batter per pancake onto the hot griddle. Drop a few blueberries onto the top of each pancake as they begin to cook. (Adding blueberries this way, rather than mixing into the batter prevents the whole batter from turning blue!)
- When the pancakes have begun to brown on the bottom, flip them over to cook the other side. You will hear the moisture from the cooking blueberries sizzling - this makes me very excited. When pancakes are cooked through, remove them from the griddle and serve with warm maple syrup! Enjoy!
- Freeze the leftovers for breakfast another day!