Simple Chicken Drumsticks with Curry and Paprika are always a crowd favorite. Mild curry and paprika make a flavorful and easy to prepare dinner, perfect for a busy weeknight or a weekend by the grill.
Simple Chicken Drumsticks with Great Flavor!
Curry is a relatively new flavor for my family. Though my husband and I love it, we always presumed it would be too… something… for our kids to enjoy. Boy were we wrong, the combination of mild red curry and paprika is one that our kids love. (All except the youngest who is not much of a meat eater at this point – but her older sisters are happy to claim her share at dinner.) It is an added benefit that chicken drumsticks are always more fun to eat.
If you are interested in introducing a new flavor to your family, or just your children, these Simple Chicken Drumsticks with Curry and Paprika are a great way to do it. They are delicious and flavorful, while not being overpowering for someone not accustomed to curry.
We also use a similar spice mix on this smoked chicken breast. If you have a smoker or a grill, you have to try it!
Easy Chicken Drumsticks for the Oven or Grill
These Simple Chicken Drumsticks work great in the oven or on the grill – or our favorite, on the smoker! (We have a Big Green Egg and when my husband is willing to use it, I always find something to go on it!) But I most often cook them in the oven – because getting dinner on the table during the week is always a priority.
There is a trick to getting crisp Chicken Drumsticks. You need to cook them with a rack in the sheet pan. This elevates the chicken and allows the hot air to circulate around the meat. It also prevents the chicken from sitting in any oil that renders while the chicken is cooking.
More Simple Recipes for Weeknight Meals?
If you have a whole chicken, rather than just drumsticks, try this Warm-Spiced Roast Chicken over Sweet Potatoes. It is our favorite dinner of all time and it the whole meal cooks on a single sheet pan, which means the clean up is a snap. Perfect for weeknight dinners.
Or if you would like to give more curry a try, these Curried Lentils with Roasted Tomatoes are made with mild red curry powder and will knock your socks off.
- 8 chicken drumsticks
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup butter melted half of a stick of butter
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp curry powder mild
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley for garnishing
- Add olive oil, melted butter, garlic powder, salt, paprika, curry powder, and cumin in a small bowl. Whisk to combine.
- Add drumsticks and marinade to a gallon sealable bag or container. Toss to coat and leave them to marinade for at least 30 minutes (overnight works good too!)
- For the smoker, heat to 350 and smoke for 45 minutes to an hour or until the internal temperature reaches 180 degrees. Turn occasionally for equal cooking.
- For the oven, preheat oven to 425 degrees. Place marinated chicken drumsticks on an elevated rack inside of a sheet pan. (I usually line the pan with foil to help with cleanup and brush the rack with olive oil to help with sticking.) Cook for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the internal temperature reaches 180 degrees, turning halfway to crisp both sides of the chicken.