Sausage and Chunky Potato Soup is best served with a big chunk of hearty bread and a bigger appetite. It is the kind of soup you eat when it is cold outside and you need to warm up from the inside out!
Chunky Potato Soup Recipe to Warm You up!
It is rare that it gets cold enough around Savannah, Georgia that we actually need to come inside to warm up. But we enjoy the idea as often as possible as soon as Fall hits. If it drops below 70 degrees around here, it is time to make soup.
I love this Sausage and Chunky Potato Soup for a lot of reasons (not the least of which is my whole family loves it!) You can really use chicken sausage as well as pork, it includes leafy greens, and the potatoes make the soup creamy without the need for a flour-based roux.
Easy Soup Recipe for Busy Weeknights
This recipe is a perfect soup for weeknights because it goes on the table in around 30 minutes. The ingredient list is simple. And it is easy to scale up or down based on the number of people you are feeding.
Keep in mind your simmer time will be a little longer or shorter than the recipe based on how big you dice your potatoes. If you prefer a less chunky soup, you can always just keep mashing until the soup is completely creamy but we love the chunks of potato at our house.
If you decide to use pork sausage instead of chicken sausage, make sure you use high-quality pork for less grease and make sure it is completely cooked through before adding it to the soup.
Looking for More Great Soup Recipes?
Nothing is more comforting than Homemade Tomato Soup and a grilled cheese. This version comes from fresh tomatoes and is the BEST I’ve ever had!
Have a big family and tired of standing at the stove to make individual grilled cheese sandwiches for everyone. When we serve soup, we do a Family Style Grilled Cheese in the oven like this one!
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 4 chicken sausages with casing removed diced
- 4 large russet potatoes diced
- 2 large carrots peeled and diced
- 1 cup spinach chopped
- 4 cups chicken stock
- kosher salt and pepper to tase
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes OPTIONAL
- In a large pot, saute the chicken sausage with the olive oil until it's all broken apart and cooked through.
- Add the onions and garlic and cook until translucent. Next add the potatoes, carrots and spinach. Stir for about a minute.
- Pour in the stock, lower heat and allow it to simmer for 20-30 minutes or until the potatoes are soft. Using a potato masher, carefully mash everything inside the pot until you reach a thick consistency. (There is no need to add cream to this soup, as the potatoes naturally make the soup thick and creamy. )
- If you want a little kick, add a touch of hot sauce!
Also delicious with traditional pork sausage! Add additional chicken stock if you prefer a thinner soup.