Homemade Pickled Onions are a must for a good sandwich, an interesting salad or any sort of taco. Delicious and flavorful without the sting of raw onions. More complex tasting and lots of ways to make them your own.
My favorite way to make Homemade Pickled Onions is with red onions because they create a lovely pink color that looks beautiful and distinct when you use them. But yellow onions will also do just fine. Also I like to slice my onions very thin with a food processor because I like that texture – and my kids are less likely to realize they are onions and pick them off. But you can cut them to the size strips you prefer – with a food processor, with a mandolin or by hand.
If you have never tried Homemade Pickled Onions, you have missed out on one of the greatest condiments in the universe. They do not taste like regular onions. The flavor is more complex and they don’t have the sting or bite you would associate with a raw onion. There are also lots of ways to flavor them. The Kitchn does a great job of listing some of the options here. This particular recipe is my favorite.
These are quick pickled onions so no canning here. Just combine all the ingredients and pop them in the fridge. They will last for several weeks.
If you would like to try more homemade pickling – try these Refrigerator Pickles. They will change your pickle game forever. I have to make two versions – one that tastes more like traditional dill pickles and a spicy, garlicky version for my husband and myself! YUM!
- 2 medium red onions sliced into strips
- 3/4 cup white wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup water make sure onions are submerged in the jar
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp sugar or honey
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 1 tsp whole allspice berries
- 3 sprigs of fresh thyme
- Combine all ingredients except onions into a jar with a lid. Shake until well mixed and sugar and salt are completely dissolved.
- Add onions. Swirl to combine. Place onions in the refrigerator for at least an hour before use. They taste best if they have been in the brine overnight.
- Onions will last for several weeks. Enjoy!