Sausage Stuffed Grilled Jalapenos are a serious guilty pleasure. If you are looking for party food, this is the recipe that will have everyone gathered around the table. Spicy and savory – crazy good!
Sausage Stuffed Grilled Jalapenos are the BEST Reason to Hang by the Grill!
When the weather is nice, I swear to you my husband will make up reasons to be outside. The reason I love the most is lighting up the grill!
As much as I love cooking, it is nice to have someone who doesn’t mind taking a shift. While I am perfectly capable of grilling, I am thrilled to let Jeff own that space. While he heats the grill, he takes care of the cars, tries to tame the toys that are always overflowing in the garage, works in the yard – and every once in a while just pulls up a chair and relaxes in the nice weather.
Lucky for me, I am married to an excellent cook. Anything that comes in the house from a day by the grill is delicious. Years ago, the only thing that we knew how to grill was meat – burgers, chicken, steak. But since food has become a family business, we are always thinking about new ways to cook the same ingredients.
How to Make Sausage Stuffed Jalapenos
- either carefully on the grates,
- or in a popper grill stand (some don’t work great because of the bacon wrapped around the peppers),
- or on a grill safe tray to prevent the peppers from falling through.
Grilled Jalapenos are Over the Top Appetizers for Football Season!
Sausage Stuffed Grilled Jalapenos were born on a weekend of recipe testing by the grill. We knew we wanted to stuff peppers but we didn’t know which peppers or how we would make the filling. In one day, we stuffed poblanos, jalapenos, and bell peppers. In case you are wondering, that is a LOT of stuffed peppers in one house.
We are occasionally asked what we do with all the food we cook. We are a family of five, we eat it. Even when there are 357 various stuffed peppers at one time. Nobody says no to leftovers here unless they plan on taking over their own cooking. Since lots of our stuffed peppers were spicy, our little kids were off the hook. But by the time we got through the leftovers, it was WEEKS before I wanted to see another stuffed pepper.
Now these Sausage Stuffed Grilled Peppers are our go-to appetizer for football, soccer, boxing – whatever sport happens to be on television. They never last long. So if you give them a try, make plenty!
We Love All The Peppers!
- 12 whole jalapenos
- 1/2 cup cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup queso fresco grated
- 1/2 lb ground sausage
- 1 tsp fresh chives minced
- 12 sliced of bacon
- Heat grill to medium-high heat.
- Wearing gloves (seriously, wear the gloves!) slice the tops off of each jalapeno pepper. Use a small spoon or butter knife to pull out the seeds and membrane of the pepper. Discard the seeds and tops.
- Wrap a slice of bacon around each pepper. Do not wind bacon too tightly because it will shrink when cooking. Stick a toothpick all the way through the pepper to hold the bacon in place. The toothpick also helps keep the peppers from rolling around on the grill too much.
- Place peppers on the grill, either carefully on the grates, or in a popper grill stand, or on a grill safe tray to prevent the peppers from falling through the grates.
- Allow the peppers to cook, turning occasionally until the bacon is completely cooked, about 10-15 minutes.
While peppers are cooking, brown sausage in a pan and drain off excess grease. Combine in a small bowl with softened cream cheese, grated queso fresco and chives.
- When jalapenos and bacon are cooked, remove from the grill. As soon as peppers are cool enough to touch, stuff the warm peppers with sausage and cheese mixture.
- Serve warm and enjoy!