The first time I put Crab over Pesto Cream Pasta. I thought my kids were going to throw me a party. Honestly, I thought it was going to be a bit much for their palettes but that’s what I get for making assumptions about what my kids will eat. Crab meat is decadent, especially when it is fresh. It can also be very expensive, which is why I use crab claw meat more often than not. In my area, I can buy it fresh for between $11 and $12 a pound. And I usually make 2 meals from a pound. (Granted, I have to have two meals with crab close together but the family has yet to complain!) Here is the crab spread that I made with the rest of the crab from this recipe.
I am lucky to live in the Low Country, where crabbing is kind of a thing. So I don’t every have to worry about a shortage of fresh crab. However, this recipe would work just fine with canned crab – just make sure you use crab that is in BPA-free cans. (If you have suggestions for brands, please leave a comment or email me and I can add it to the post.)
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup Pesto see Pesto recipe to learn to make this ahead for easy meals!
- 1/4 cup Parmesan Cheese, grated
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb whole wheat pasta
- 2/3 lb fresh crab claw meat
- 1 pint cherry or grape to
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley for garnishing
- Cook pasta according to package directions.
- In a sauce pan or skillet over medium heat, combine cream, pesto. Parmesan Cheese, and salt and pepper. Allow to cook until it reduces slightly. Pour over cooked and drained whole wheat pasta.
- Divide pasta into serving dished and pile crab claw meat on top. Top with sliced tomatoes, extra Parmesan cheese and fresh cracked pepper. Garnish with chopped parsley. Enjoy!